As of September 30, 2013, the Sandy Homebuyer Assistance Program is no longer accepting pre-applications. Applications received through September 30, 2013 will continue to be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Online: Applicants may submit a pre-application by visiting the NJ Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (HMFA) website at www.njhousing.gov.
By Phone: Applicants may call the reNewJerseyStronger Call Center at 1-855-SANDYHM (726-3946) where a representative can fill in the online pre-application for the applicant.
The required pre-application will ask for basic household and income information:
- Names and Date of Birth of all household members;
- Income for all household members;
- Contact Information (address, phone number, email address); and
- Race/Ethnicity/Gender (this information is strictly for statistical purposes only).
Once a pre-application is received by HMFA, applicants will be contacted by an HMFA-contracted Housing Counselor to complete the full application process.
To be eligible for the Sandy Homebuyer Assistance Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must purchase a home in the nine most-impacted counties.
- Applicants’ income must be less than or equal to 80% area median income.
- Applicants must have minimum credit score of 620.
- Applicants must qualify for first mortgage to purchase the housing unit.
The eligible property must meet the following requirements:
- After purchase, the home must be the applicant’s primary residence;
- Must be located in one of the nine (9) impacted counties; and
- Must be a one-family residential property (attached, detached, condominium, or manufactured home*).
*Manufactured homes are only eligible if they are on a foundation permanently affixed to real property owned by the homeowner and secured by a real property first mortgage loan.