Skip Navigation

Non-Federal Cost Shares (Match) Program

Numerous federal funding programs used in the Sandy recovery effort require non-federal levels of government to share in the costs of recovery projects. This cost share is also known as “match.” The State, county, municipality or other government entity benefitting from the recovery project must pay for a portion of the project and then the federal government pays the remainder.

 

The FEMA Public Assistance (PA) Program requires the State and local government entities to pay a 10 percent match for disaster recovery projects while FEMA pays the remaining 90 percent. For a number of Sandy-impacted communities, the 10 percent match has resulted in a financial burden for local governments and, by extension, their local property taxpayers. Rather than see property taxes increase in communities affected by Sandy, the State is stepping in to cover some or all of the 10 percent cost share through the Non-Federal Cost Share (Match) Program.

 

The Department of Community Affairs (DCA), Sandy Recovery Division is now accepting applications for the Match Program, which provides Sandy-impacted municipalities, counties and public school districts with financial assistance for eligible disaster recovery costs. The Match Program is intended to provide funding for some or all of the 10 percent match required by the FEMA PA Program to pay for recovery activities such as debris removal and emergency protective measures undertaken in the immediate aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. Eligible applicants must be either municipalities, counties, or public school districts. They must be located in the nine (9) most impacted counties (Atlantic, Bergen, Cape May, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, and Union) as detailed in the State’s Disaster Recovery Action Plan, in order to be eligible to receive funding for the local match requirement under the FEMA PA Program.

 

The eligible disaster recovery project categories under the FEMA PA Program for the local cost share are: Category A (Debris Removal) and Category B (Emergency Protective Measures). Funding for the Match Program is from federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Disaster Recovery dollars awarded to the State of New Jersey for recovery from Sandy.

 

Applications, with appropriate documentation, are due on or before 5:00 p.m. on October 18, 2016. The application can be downloaded by clicking on the FEMA Non-Federal Cost Share Program Application below and must be submitted to the Sandy Recovery Division by the due date. The application may be submitted via email to FEMALocalMatch@dca.nj.gov or a hard copy of the application may be mailed to:

 

New Jersey Department of Community Affairs Sandy Recovery Division, Attn: FEMA Match 101 South Broad Street P O Box 823 Trenton, NJ 08625-0823

 

The completion and submission of an application does not guarantee funding. The Sandy Recovery Division will review and approve applications based on eligibility with CDBG Disaster Recovery regulations and availability of funding. It should be noted that eligible costs under the FEMA PA Program does not ensure eligibility of the entire 10 percent non-federal match under the CDBG Disaster Recovery program. The Division reserves the right to request additional information during the application review process.

 

People can find more information about the program by reading the Non-Federal Cost Share Program Frequently Asked Questions. If people have additional questions regarding the Match Program or the application, they can contact the Sandy Recovery Division at FEMALocalMatch@dca.nj.gov or call (609) 633-7363 or (609) 292-8340.

 

FEMA Non-Federal Cost Share Program Application

 

The Sandy Recovery Division does not require a resolution as part of the application process, but a template for a resolution is available by clicking on the link below should a local government entity’s governing body require it.

 

Resolution Template